Read along and design your life with me! Designing Your Life: How to Build a Well-Lived, Joyful Life by Bill Burnett & Dave Evans
My Philosophy of Work
- Why Work? To be productive; help a business or individual succeed, move society forward.
- What’s work for? To build community with others. Offer goods and services that solve someone’s problem.
- What does work mean? Commitment to a cause. Defining a goal and meeting it. Learning constantly. Being flexible and adaptable. Rising to the occasion.
- How does it relate to the individual, others, society? It helps and hurts. It can nurture an individual that solves a problem for others that puts good into society. It can destroy an individual when work is about power and self-importance, causing chaos for others and harm to society.
- What defines good or worthwhile work? When the one that works sees their role as part of a bigger picture. They are not in a selfie, consumed with what they get out of it, but what they give by doing it.
- What does money have to do with it? Money is nice but too easy to define one’s ‘human’ worth by it; important to fight against vanity and greed. I believe that 98% of the people that work are underpaid. A huge distinction. It doesn’t mean they are undervalued. Volunteer / Charity and Pro Bono work are great examples. The work itself is valuable to both the giver and the receiver and the lasting effects / ripples of kindness continue to put good in the world.
- What do experience, growth, and fulfillment have to do with it? Everything.